Giving every adoptable pet a second chance in a loving, responsible home since 1902.
ADOPTION BY APPOINTMENT: Starting Tuesday, December 29th, we will begin offering adoption by in person appointments in addition to our digital/phone personality matching service with curbside pickup that has helped us adopt almost 900 pets this year. With next week being a holiday week, we will offer appointments on Tuesday and Saturday from 11-2 to get things started. After New Years, appointments will be Tue, Thu and Sat between the hours of 11-2. We have worked to make it as simple and as safe as possible for both our community as well as our staff, and thank everyone participating in advance for following the steps and guidelines that go along with this new process.
HOW IT WORKS:
1. Visit our website at www.hssc.us and browse our adoptable pets. You will find personality descriptions along with basic pet info next to the main photo of each pet we have looking for a home.
2. Pick out 1, 2 or 3 pets that you would like to meet in person with assistance from their direct caretakers to help you meet your match, and fill out an application also found on our webpage, conveniently linked on each page you view adoptable pets. We review applications throughout the day.
3. Once your application is approved we will reach out to you via phone to set your appointment.
4. In the event that two families choose to meet the same pet and he/she gets adopted by the first family- we are happy to make recommendations on other pets that would fit your interests.
AT YOUR APPOINTMENT:
1. Masks required at all times.
2. Everyone entering the building will have their temperature taken. Anyone experiencing a fever will not permitted to adopt at that time, but of course welcome back when it is appropriate.
3. Designated areas have been created for meet & greets, as well as finalizing paperwork, etc. Online payments are an option where no exchanging of cash/card is required.
4. We have allotted enough time to complete the adoption in one visit (except where special visits are required) and ask that everyone be mindful of those with appointments after them.
PLEASE NOTE: Our "meet your match" system has been a great success this year, and adopters are not required at this time to have an appointment set to meet animals prior to adoption. We will still offer our adoptions via phone and email if that is the method you prefer. We believe that offering both options at this time is the best way to meet the needs of our pets as well as our community.
Your support and contributions will enable us to meet our goals and improve conditions. Your generous donation will fund our mission of giving every adoptable pet a second chance in a loving and responsible home.
We encourage everyone considering pet adoption to visit us to learn more about adding a new member to your family. In the meantime, check out photos and information about our available companions.
As a private, 501c3 non-profit organization, we rely on donations, earned revenue and grant funding to care for the thousands of pets we see annually. We are not funded by the County, or by the Cities we service.
Whether you are looking to walk dogs, clean kennels or read to cats-we have a role to fit your interests. Start by reading about our orientation process and filling out an application.