ADOPTION BY APPOINTMENT: We offer adoption services by in person appointments, in addition to our digital/phone personality matching service with curbside pickup, that has helped us adopt almost 900 pets this year. Appointments are scheduled Sunday - Saturday 10am to 3pm in 30 minute increments. We have worked to make it as simple and as safe as possible for both our community as well as our staff, and thank everyone participating in advance for following the steps and guidelines that go along with this new process.
HOW IT WORKS:
1. Visit our website at www.hssc.us and browse our adoptable pets. You will find personality descriptions along with basic pet info next to the main photo of each pet we have looking for a home.
2. Pick out 1, 2 or 3 pets that you would like to meet in person with assistance from our adoption counselors to help you meet your match. You may then give us a call at 563-388-6655 to schedule an appointment, or complete the adoption application online for review and our team will contact you for an appointment once approved.
3. In the event that two families choose to meet the same pet and he/she gets adopted by the first family, we are happy to make recommendations on other pets that would fit your interests.
AT YOUR APPOINTMENT:
1. Masks required at all times.
2. Everyone entering the building will have their temperature taken. Anyone experiencing a fever will not be permitted to adopt at that time, but of course welcome back when it is appropriate.
3. Designated areas have been created for meet & greets, as well as finalizing paperwork, etc. Online payments are an option where no exchanging of cash/card is required.
4. We have allotted enough time to complete the adoption in one visit (except where special visits are required) and ask that everyone be mindful of those with appointments after them.
PLEASE NOTE: Our "meet your match" system has been a great success this year, and adopters are not required at this time to have an appointment set to meet animals prior to adoption. We will still offer our adoptions via phone and email if that is the method you prefer. We believe that offering both options at this time is the best way to meet the needs of our pets as well as our community.
Adoption fee for all dogs, regardless of age is $105. Dogs are spayed/neutered, age appropriately vaccinated, microchipped, heartworm tested and given a general health exam prior to adoption.
Adoption fee for all cats over 1 year of age is $20. Cats are spayed/neutered, age appropriately vaccinated, microchipped, tested for feline leukemia and given a general health exam prior to adoption.
Adoption fee for all cats under 1 year is $75. Kittens are spayed/neutered, age appropriately vaccinated, microchipped, tested for feline leukemia and given a general health exam prior to adoption.
Adoption fee for all rabbits, regardless of age is $50. All rabbits are spayed/neutered prior to adoption.
Adoption fee for all Guinea Pigs, regardless of age is $10.
At times, we also have ferrets, rats, gerbils and hamsters. Please click the link below to see any adoptable critters.
*Bring all of this information with you if you plan to adopt.
Our animals come from various environments and their medical history is typically unknown to us. We conduct a health and temperament test on every animal in our shelter prior to adoption. We make every effort possible to ensure that animals are healthy both mentally and physically when making them available for adoption. All adopted animals must receive a physical from a licensed vet within 10 working days of placement in a new home.
As part of our mission to adopt pets into loving and responsible homes, we offer pre-adoption education sessions for more challenging breeds. We also reserve the right to perform a property check as needed, based on the individual pet being adopted.