How it works:
1. Visit us in person at 2802 W. Central Park Ave. Davenport, IA 52804 or visit our website at www.hssc.us and browse our adoptable pets. You will find personality descriptions along with basic pet info next to the main photo of each pet we have looking for a home.
2. While you're here at the shelter, our adoption counselors will answer any questions you have about a particular pet and allow for a meet and greet in one of our meeting rooms with any pet you're interested in that would be a good fit for your home.
3. In the event that two families choose to meet the same pet and he/she gets adopted by the first family, we are happy to make recommendations on other pets that would fit your interests.
Important COVID-19 information to know:
1. Masks required at all times.
2. If you are feeling ill, please visit us another time for the safety of other guests, staff members, and volunteers.
3. Designated areas have been created for meet & greets, as well as finalizing paperwork, etc. Capacity limits will be upheld when necessary.
Adoption fee for all dogs, regardless of age is $105. Dogs are spayed/neutered, age appropriately vaccinated, microchipped, heartworm tested, and given a general health exam prior to adoption.
Adoption fee for all cats over 1 year of age is $20. Cats are spayed/neutered, age appropriately vaccinated, microchipped, tested for FeLV/FIV, and given a general health exam prior to adoption.
Adoption fee for all cats under 1 year is $75. Kittens are spayed/neutered, age appropriately vaccinated, microchipped, tested for FeLV/FIV, and given a general health exam prior to adoption.
Adoption fee for all rabbits, regardless of age is $50. All rabbits are spayed/neutered prior to adoption.
Adoption fee for all Guinea Pigs, regardless of age is $10.
At times, we also have ferrets, rats, gerbils and hamsters. Please click the link below to see any adoptable critters.
*Bring all of this information with you if you plan to adopt.
Our animals come from various environments and their medical history is typically unknown to us. We conduct a health and temperament test on every animal in our shelter prior to adoption. We make every effort possible to ensure that animals are healthy both mentally and physically when making them available for adoption. All adopted animals must receive a physical from a licensed vet within 10 working days of placement in a new home.
As part of our mission to adopt pets into loving and responsible homes, we offer pre-adoption education sessions for more challenging breeds. We also reserve the right to perform a property check as needed, based on the individual pet being adopted.